Thursday, September 2, 2010

Closets Are Not Good Hiding Places

When playing hide and seek the closet was my favorite place to cram myself in, finding something on the ground to hide behind or under, squeezing myself against the wall when the door opened. But after a short while of hiding successfully, the air would grow musty. I'd get a cramp. And I'd realize that they'd stopped searching there a while ago.

I am not under a constant scrutiny. People are not searching anymore. I'm safe. So I'm coming out.

I'm straight.

Big shocker, to my friends and family. Bigger shock to me, honestly. But it seems that I am indeed heterosexual.

Now let me take a moment from your shock and awe to define a few things, for the simplicity of this explanation.
Sex: Physical attributes that define your body as 'male' or 'female'
Sexuality: Definition of attraction, based on sex/gender of both parties
Gender: Mental/spiritual sex

So to continue my earlier statement. I am straight. A straight man, with a female body. That is my closet, my body. And I want to come out now.

No comments:

Post a Comment